Mt Druitt Learning Ground Programs For 2021
Family Life Skills Programme
WHAT IS IT
(Learning Ground Brochure)
- A behavioural change management centre for children and adolescents to support entry or re-entry to full-time school.
- A unique place designed for families to experience capacity building in community education and development and to make learning experiences together.
- Built on the principles of each-one-teach-one, (I have a skill to offer you just as you have to offer me) and learning with great respect.
- A place where everyone feels safe and welcome. We offer ‘Learning Ground' program at 10-12 Macarthur Way, Bidwill. Learning Ground operates on school term timetable.
- Operating flexible hours participants are drawn from varying ages and backgrounds. Working together we will find new solutions to breaking the poverty cycle in the Druitt. Skills development are paramount for adults and children to meet achievable goals.
- Learning is based on Aboriginal traditional and contemporary knowledge and that of linguistically diverse communities. (CALD), realization and celebration characterises much of the learning.
- Participants learn the 3 R's:
Reading: writing, artwork, story-telling
Rhythm: music, dance, drama
Respect: I am one and you are one, we care (taught with simple meditation techniques)
LEARNING GROUND CORE PROGRAM
- First semester learning experiences address the "five mes"; learning focus is on our physical, intellectual, emotional, spiritual and social growth. All participants address the same themes using age appropriate tools and skills training. Some shared learning time allows each age group to perceive a little of the learning world of the other.
- Second semester develops the understanding of the "whole me", with focus on becoming a good listener, developing skills to communicate clearly and well with family, friends, teachers, students, and others. Priority is given to positive communication skills learning how to be assertive without aggression, and taking the role of an enabler regardless of age.
- Offers workshops, seminars and forums drawn out of expressed community needs eg parenting (a variety of topics), enabling a developing community, volunteering in a developing community, health and safety, preparing for employment, choosing between violence and non-violence, parenting skills and many others.
WHO IS LEARNING GROUND FOR
- Designed for Mt Druitt families who are committed to experiencing capacity building techniques such that will equip them for mainstream education or potential job opportunities.
HOW ARE PARTICIPANTS SUPPORTED IN THE LEARNING PROCESS
- The Learning Ground differs from school, or neighbourhood or community centre in that every participant will be allocated a ‘mentor' support person and any student participant will require a dedicated support person over the age of 18.
- Support persons may be a relative or a family friend who can provide ongoing support. May also be a Learning Ground volunteer.
- Support persons are welcome with formal or informal learning skills but willingness and the ability to undertake some training is essential.
HOW DOES LEARNING GROUND ASSIST COMMUNITY
- Socio-economic disadvantage and marginalisation is addressed.
- Supporting young people to attend full time schooling.
- Cross cultural understanding is promoted.
- Family relationships are strengthened.
- Literacy and numeracy is prioritised.
- Community wellbeing is enhanced.
- Developing self-esteem leading to schooling and employment options.
- Learning Ground contributes to the reduction of violence, crime, substance abuse, and homelessness in the area.
- Learning Ground, first in Mt Druitt is able to be replicated in other communities.
WHEN IS LEARNING GROUND OFFERED
- Learning Ground operates during school terms.
- Learning Ground is offered to adolescents (13 - 17) and their supporting adult on Mondays from 9.30am to 2.30pm.
- Learning Ground is offered to young persons (10 - 12) and their supporting adult on Wednesdays from 10.00am to 2.20pm.
Click on Link below to see the ABC Lateline Story on Mt Druitt Learning Ground by Ginny Stein - 17 April 2015
ABC Lateline story by Ginny Stein on Mt Druitt Learning Ground - 17 April 2015